Hello Everybody, I’m finally starting to feel back in the swing of things and it’s a good thing since it’s that time again for “Life’s A Charm,” our monthly series where we create a quick pattern using either a mini charm pack or charm pack. Last month, we featured a table topper with nothing other than snowflakes, check it out here. I’d also like to welcome visitors from the linky parties we’re participating in today:
- (1) Mini Charm Pack (we used Odds and Ends by Cosmo Cricket)
- (1) scrap of cream fabric (we used a 10″ x 10″ extra from a layer cake and had plenty left over)
- (2) 8″ x 12″ pieces of batting
- (2) 8″ x 12″ pieces of backing fabric
- (2) 2 1/2″ x 50″ pieces of binding
- A ruler with a 45 degree angle such as this one
- A – 6 red mini charm pieces into (24) 1″ x 1″ squares;
- B – 2 red mini charm pieces into (4) 1″ x 2″ strips;
- C – 1 red mini charm piece into (2) 1″ x 2 1/2″ strips; and
- D – 1 red mini charm piece into (2) 1″ x 1 1/2″ strips.
From your cream scrap fabric, cut
- E – (12) 2 1/2″ x 1″ strips;
- F – (10) 1 1/2″ x 1″ strips;
- G – (4) 1″ x 1″ squares; and
- H – 2″ x 1″ strips.
Step 2: Next it will be helpful to lay your hearts out with all the pieces where they should be. In the order listed below (from left to right), lay out your rows. You can see from the picture below how I did mine.
Step 4: For rows 4, 5, and 6, the left hand side of the heart’s angles will all be the same and the right hand side of the heart’s angles will all be the same. For the left hand side place red fabric right side together with cream fabric and draw a 45 degree angle from the upper left hand corner diagonally to the lower right hand corner on the back side of the red fabric. Sew both pieces and press towards red fabric. Cut off excess fabric on back side so there is 1/4″ seam.
For the right hand side place red fabric right side together with cream fabric and draw a 45 degree angle from the upper right hand side to the lower left hand side on the back side of the red fabric. Sew both pieces and press towards red fabric. Cut off excess fabric on back side so there a 1/4″ seam. Once complete lay out your rows with angled pieces in place.
Step 5: Sew your rows together and your pieced hearts are complete. Next lay out the rest of your mug rug pieces and arrange as desired. Row 1 will consist of 5 mini charm pack pieces; rows 2 and 3 will consist of 3 pieces across, finished with the pieced heart block.
Step 6: Sew all pieces across for rows 1, 2 and 3.
Step 7: Finish by sewing pieced rows 2 to 3, then sew to the pieced heart block. You will need to proof this piece to 4″ wide! Finally sew row 1 to rows 2 and 3. Quilt and bind as desired, your mug rugs are complete!